Make building easier

Home Forums Suggestions Building Make building easier

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Rukio

+Placing a block ontop of lootable blocks should move the lootables away instead of not being able to place something until it’s picked up or despawns.
      + Have falling blocks? Sand comes to mind.
      + Leaves of trees should decay or drop to the ground to be looted when the trunk is harvested.
      + Tree should fall over/have everything else crumble and become lootable once a lower level block has been harvested.
      + Have trees respawn outside of a certain range of player build structures/blocks
      + For sloped blocks. Instead of moving the blocks through the inventory. Maybe hit a out of way key such as Tilde ` to bring up a menu for the block you were hovering over and it display all the variations of block you can use. Using the number keys to select the variant it’ll begin placing the variant you select until prompted otherwise.
      + A tool to swap a block with another type.

Rob
      Participant

Thanks Dan. All good feedback. Some of the things you’ve mentioned are things just not working the way they’re supposed to yet.

The not being able to place blocks on top of lootables is super annoying and we’ll try and sort that out asap.

We will probably add some more physical attributes to block types soon. Our engineer Luca loves messing with physics. The ‘bounciness’ and ‘friction’ should be going in soon as seen in our Developer video update.

Agree, totally with the trees. I don’t like the current behaviour and we want trees to behave a bit more realistically for harvesting (and be less annoying). Who likes having hundreds of treetops floating around in space?

Growth and respawning of trees and other flora is likely to come at a later date.

The sloped block mechanics are all very much placeholder developer tools at the minute. It’s definitely not the way we intend you to be able to use them in the future.

What do you mean by a tool to swap a block with another type? Can you give me some examples?

Rob – Wonderstruck Designer

Rukio

An example would be something I did earlier today. I was changing my light houses’s (now unproportional) wooden floor with glass. Instead of completely deleting all the wood and slowly making my way around placing glass. A tool or button press (hold) that allows me to look at certain block. Press and hold the designated key and it select the block. Whatever block is highlighted in my hot bar and triggered with the right mouse button would transform the now wood block into a glass block.

No destroying the entire wood surface. No replacing the entire wood surface. Just swap.

Grimoire
      Participant

For trees, since they are natural as well could they be sloped too? To make the tree more realistic in a sense instead of having it float over nothing but a tree block the next block over. That way it looks like everything connects?

Rob
      Participant

Ahh, thanks Daniel. I get you now. That would certainly make replacing blocks far easier. I’ll add it to the notebook and we’ll chat about it next time we have a building brainstorm.

Not sure if we can do sloped trees yet. Have to look into that.

Rob – Wonderstruck Designer

Janis

I like the idea to swap blocks but the it should be an item that you have to craft befor without one its illogical an weird if you can only do that with a key

Rukio

Maybe a wearable then? The system would be different if it’s an item you have to craft and have selected in your hotbar. Then my idea wouldn’t work where you hold said button while hovering over.. say glass to turn the wood into glass. If it’d be a craftable that just sits in your inventory. They would have to make a passive system.

Rukio

Here is an example.

Here is a wooden block. I think it’d look nicer as a glass block. So I’d hover over it, hold say.. Q since it doesn’t do anything at the moment.

Hold Q and right click and BAM! The wooden block is now a glass block! And somehow the wood would be returned into your inventory.

Dasachi

Thats a great idea.

Silfren

I like the swapping idea would be great for sloped blocks aswell.
      now i have to dig them up then replace them with a square one takes foreever

Kuma

Maybe having a tool to cycle through the types of slopes would be a good thing here. But not the immediate exchange of blocks, that’s kind of cheating for me^^

Thorbjorn

If it should work it should only be for blocks you or other players build inside your beacon. Else it could be used for supper faster mining.

Cirlex

@Thorbjorn Hey, I just wonder if you are Scandinavian? Your name looks Scandinavian.
        Sorry for asking this here 😛

I really like the suggestions, Rukio.

Thorbjorn

Yup i am from denmark… I think i am gonna make a thread for this in general discussions 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.