Use of Drugs/Alcohol or similar in Oort Universe

Home Forums Suggestions Other Use of Drugs/Alcohol or similar in Oort Universe

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Havok40k
      Participant

Let me just get out of the way that I do not personally condone or condemn the use of drugs or alcohol in real life.

My suggestion is rather, on the level of in game immersion to the Oort Universe.

Many an adventurers have often told of their great tales and adventures to others while visiting great mead halls and taverns all throughout history. Taverns have been the gathering places for bands of adventurers and merchants and commoners alike, all to gather over a frothy brew. Why should the adventurers of Oort Online be any different?

I’m obviously talking further down the road here, closer to full launch. Simple consumable drinks may add a stacking blurry status effect could be a fun novelty item that guilds could enjoy together between dungeon raids, or individuals could use in roll play. If you wanted to take the idea further, legendary brewers could imbue bonuses in their drinks that, when consumed, grant the imbiber enhanced speed, strength or health for a short time.

I’m not going to recommend that Oort allow hard drugs like what are illegal in most countries to be used in the game, but perhaps social things like tobacco (or an Oort equivalent) could be used as aesthetic character enhancement or to add depth to a character’s personality. Perhaps some races could have an affinity for certain substances that adds depth to that race’s personality and disposition. To use another game as an example, The Kahjiit in The Elder Scrolls have a skooma affinity that is typical of the entire race. Whether a Khajiit uses skooma or not may have an impact on that character’s personality.

A drawback for the developers to consider may be how the addition of such things may affect the game’s ESRB ratings, though I’m not familiar enough with such systems to comment further on that.

Whether a player chooses to use such substances or not, it would have an impact on players and towns, add immersion and generally be a fun small detail to the game.

Havok40k
      Participant

As an afterthought, it could be fun to see player governments try and deal with the regulation of these things in game. Do you opt for a passive “legalize anything” stance, or a hard-line ban on it all with police force against organized crime? It could be exciting to play either way!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.